Open Source projects Chinese companies and individuals contributed to
Chinese companies have very little presence online and many people may believe that Chinese are reluctant to engage in open source projects.
Last year, @filmaj used the GitHub REST API to pull public profile information from all 2,060,011 GitHub users who were active in 2017 (10+ commits to public projects) yields this ranking of the top-30 corporate open source contributors, the result is like
So Alibaba ranked at #9 and Tencent ranked at #12. Not bad.
I also did some research, Reposted from my comment on Hacker News, the following is the list of open source projects which has Chinese companies as active supportors.
- Free software Foundation patrons
- Linux Foundation. If you frequent Kernel lists you can find many Chinese contributors (from Redhat, Huawei, etc.)
- Eclipse Foundation
- Apache Foundation, and many Apache projects like Apache Dubbo
- OpenSSL exceptional support. Smartisian is a mobile phone vendor which donates their release event tickets to OpenSSL back when the HEARTBLEED security bug was a great threat.
- Ceph Foundation
- OpenContainers Initiative
- CNCF members
- OpenStack foundation
- Xen members
- RISC-V Foundation
- OpenPOWER members
Notable Open Source projects started by Chinese:
- OpenResty, full-fledged scriptable nginx with LuaJIT2
- LVS: The Linux Virtual Server Project
- TiDB, TiKV: Distributed Transactional Database with MySQL-compatible protocol.
- ECharts: A powerful, interactive charting and visualization library for browser
- Dragonfly: P2P Container Image Distribution
- Harbor: Container Image Storage
This list is incomplete, I hope one day there will be a Chinese company out reach even more open source communities like Redhat. If I have some projects missing please leave a comment!