Chinese companies have very little presence online and many people may believe that Chinese are reluctant to engage in open source projects.
Last year, @filmaj used the GitHub REST API to pull public profile information from all 2,060,011 GitHub users who were active in 2017 (10+ commits to public projects) yields this ranking of the top-30 corporate open source contributors, the result is like
So Alibaba ranked at #9 and Tencent ranked at #12. Not bad.
I also did some research, Reposted from my comment on Hacker News, the following is the list of open source projects which has Chinese companies as active supportors.
- Free software Foundation patrons
- Linux Foundation. If you frequent Kernel lists you can find many Chinese contributors (from Redhat, Huawei, etc.)
- Eclipse Foundation
- Apache Foundation, and many Apache projects like Apache Dubbo
- OpenSSL exceptional support. Smartisian is a mobile phone vendor which donates their release event tickets to OpenSSL back when the HEARTBLEED security bug was a great threat.
- Ceph Foundation
- OpenContainers Initiative
- CNCF members
- OpenStack foundation
- Xen members
- RISC-V Foundation
- OpenPOWER members
Notable Open Source projects started by Chinese:
- OpenResty, full-fledged scriptable nginx with LuaJIT2
- LVS: The Linux Virtual Server Project
- TiDB, TiKV: Distributed Transactional Database with MySQL-compatible protocol.
- ECharts: A powerful, interactive charting and visualization library for browser
- Dragonfly: P2P Container Image Distribution
- Harbor: Container Image Storage
This list is incomplete, I hope one day there will be a Chinese company out reach even more open source communities like Redhat. If I have some projects missing please leave a comment!